Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Types of Clients that Benefit from a Health, Wellness & Nutrition Coach.

I realize many people aren't sure kind of role a wellness, nutrition and health coach does.  I've noticed I have generally four types of clients.  The newbie, someone diagnosed with a health concern, the one that's tried everything and the one that knows what to do but just isn't motivated to do it and needs a motivator.

The Newbie is not educated about nutrition.  They have never tried a diet and have been motivated to work with me because they have either started to gain weight, had a recent health concern or simply decided to put healthy eating as a priority.  When I work with this client I focus on increasing their knowledge about the foods they are putting into their body.  We discuss the foods they are eating now and make tweaks and tend to move a little slower.  

The second client has tried it all and is stuck.  They typically come to be for a few reasons.  The first is health, they have been diagnosed with something and either needs to change their diet for their health.  I've worked with patients diagnosed with diabetes, thyroid, high blood pressure and high cholesterol to name a few.  All have the same goal, to get their disease under control.  It's amazing to watch these people become successful and realize that the food we put in our body is amazing medicine and can really help get their diseases more manageable.  Watching someone regain control of their body is a beautiful thing.  The other type of client in this category has simply tried EVERYTHING.  

The third type of patient has tried it all and simply can't lose weight.  They have tried different diets, cleanses and are willing to try almost anything at this point.  There are a few underlying causes for being stuck.  Some have tried so many cleanses, from the lemon/cayenne/maple syrup diet to Atkins.  They've yo yo'd and need to regain control over their body.  Learning to simply eat healthy and consistently is the focus of our relationship.  Others are inflamed for various reasons.  I found out I am allergic to mangoes and tumeric, I mean who knew? I couldn't figure out why I was getting sick after I ate.  After some testing I figured it out.  It was so empowering.  There are also many digestive issues that stop clients from losing weight.  Candida or other digestive issues are able to be controlled through diet and sometimes supplements.  Some have a vitamin D deficiency or simply need digestive herbs to help retrain their system on how to work.  This client has to be patient because we cannot always find the solution overnight.  Typically it will take 30 days to start to notice your body changing after beginning the correct regimen.  Either the client has starved themselves and needs to let their body know "Hey I'm going to feed you" or their body needs time to heal.

The last client knows exactly what to do but just can't stay on track.  They can't stay motivated and need a coach to keep them on track.  They go to the gym, then stop going.  They are really motivated at first but then get bored or find excuses.  They eat really healthy for a few days, cheat and it goes downhill from there.  These are some of the toughest clients!  They are really motivated to work with me and decide, yes I'm going to do it.  Then, they fall off the wagon.  My job with this type of client requires more contact.  I tend to text these clients more.  Checking in and keeping them accountable.  I like this client to keep a detailed food diary.  Details not only include the food they are eating but how they are feeling.  There are various triggers that we become aware of that are underlying causes of the slip ups.  Typically emotional eating or even the self defeating prophecy.  

Each client within these categories is different and some are a mix.  Knowing which person you are allows us to create the right plan for you and your personality.  Some clients are able to take a plan and execute it while others need more support.  This is one reason I create custom plans for all clients.  Your success is my success.  



No comments:

Post a Comment