Sunday, August 9, 2015

Vacation Fat

I recently returned from a trip to Arizona with my sister and mom.  We went to my beloved Sedona.  If you haven't heard of this magical city you must check it out.  It is my heaven on earth.  The skies are blue, sunsets are colorful and you are surrounded by lots of greens and mountains.  My favorite part?  I have a list of places I can eat!  From pizza to sandwiches and boy do I indulge.

While you're reading this, remember how I've mentioned I do eat?  Let me tell you, when I can eat, I do, and I did!  So much that I put on 5 lbs.  Now 5 lbs to a "normal" person who's thyroid functions is not bad.  They can go back to a healthy diet and the pounds melt back off.  To those that are hypothyroid or have hoshimotos, that increase can make your heart drop.  

First step?  Drink up, and I'm not talking alcohol.  Water in abundance.  While I typically drink half my body weight in ounces a day, I do about one and a quarter to one and a half.  I add lemons for an added boost.  It helps the detoxification process and increases the speed of my weight loss.  

Second, my diet is clean.  I only eat foods I know will not cause inflammation and I do my best to take my last bite at least 3 hours before my head hits the pillow.  Salt intake is decreased and probiotics increased.  Side note, I recently learned many probiotics are contaminated with gluten so make sure if you're gluten free to verify your probiotics.  Go back to your clean diet, make sure to only put in foods that are anti-inflammatory for YOUR body.  

Finally while you may think this workout girl steps it up and does 2 a days but that's not the case.  With a thyroid condition that can only increase the swelling.  I am guilty of overexercising however I have learned it has the opposite effect.  I will only allow myself to do this if I need an outlet and working out is going to allow me to let go of some stress.  Instead of working out like a crazy woman, I hit the treadmill and break a sweat with walking for 45 minutes a day.  If I decide to do a 2nd exercise, it's yoga.  On the days I don't do my treadmill I will do some light weight lifting, pilates or a Barre class.  No spin classes, crossfit, running or anything else vigorous.  

So that's it!  Sounds easy yet the journey can be a challenge if you're type A and impatient.  Allow your body to let it go, realize and know you've done it before and can do it again!  

No comments:

Post a Comment